How to run faster: a complete guide to fartlek training

Posted

Thanks for the article! Need to speed up my runs!!

Likes0

Posted

Great article. Does it mean run the 3 minutes at half marathon pace, then jog for 1 minute the recover before doing the 2 mins at 10k pace etc or does it mean do the 3,2,1 block then jog for 1 minute to recover?

Likes0

Posted

Good morning everyone. I am a newbie and have been running for four weeks. i have a trainer which i find really encourages me and it's much easier and more enjoyable when you have support.

Likes1

• George davis
    • George davis
    • Good to have someone motivating you.  It does work.

• 29 days ago
  • Mary Norris
    • Mary Norris
    • It does work.....especially the comments/encouragement from fellow running bugs!!

• 9 days ago
  • Login or Join to leave a comment.

Posted

I've started running fast for 1 song on my iPod, then slower for the next song. I keep doing that until I've finished my run. I also do this when I'm on my rowing machine. It's working for me, I feel that I've more stamina and I can pick the pace up if I feel as though I'm lagging behind.

Likes19

Posted

Only started a few months ago so not done a 5k, 10k or a half interesting but not helpful for someone starting out, and I know I need to pick up my pace. Maybe it's small steps and get to bigger distances before worrying about how fast I'm going?

Likes3

• mandy.mcmullin
    • mandy.mcmullin
    • The most i run is 5k so i try 30 second sprints, then 20 and 10. It doesn't sound much but i have improved my speed.

• 2 months ago
  • Login or Join to leave a comment.

Posted

This really isn't aimed at slow or beginner runners!  I don't have different paces for a 5k, 10k and half-marathon - 10k is the farthest I have ever run, and I can't really run 5k any faster than that pace.  I can't pick up my speed for 2 or 3 minutes either - anything longer than half a minute and I would definitely have to walk to recover.  That's the strategy I've used when trying to introduce intervals - run as fast as I can for about 30 seconds, walk to recover, start jogging when I can, then so another set when I'm ready.  Do you fancy doing some recommendations for people like me?

Likes6

• lottie.hinks
    • lottie.hinks
    • Me too. Ran my first 5k 15th Feb and my first 10k two weeks ago. My pace varies from 7.17 to 7.50km p/h. Depending on

• 3 months ago
  • lottie.hinks
    • lottie.hinks
    • Hills but feels like I only have one speed at the moment. Should I focus on building stamina & regularity before speed??

• 3 months ago
  • Plodder44
    • Plodder44
    • Depends on the distance but the answer to me is yes and build the speed in as you go along but rember its for fun .

• 2 months ago
  • Login or Join to leave a comment.

Posted

Thank you !!

Likes0

Posted

Really useful explanation. I feel pretty one-paced when I run and I'd never bothered to read up on how fartlek is supposed to be done ... until now! Look out PBs, I'm coming to get you!

Likes3

Posted

I do this anyway, sometimes I just fancy a sprint, racing a fellow runner, or just over taking someone for spectators at a bus stop :)

Likes3

Posted

reads like it was written by a Scandanavian lol

Likes1