5 major running mistakes and how to avoid them

5 major running mistakes and how to avoid them

New to running? Avoid these five common mistakes made by beginner runners and you'll get more enjoyment and make great progress that you'll be able to maintain throughout the year. 1. Too Much Too Soon Running MistakesIt’s great to be enthusiastic and to get fit you do need to overload. But there’s overload and there’s overload. Many new runners get the bug, go hell bent for leather and end up with overuse injuries like shin splints. Try one of our beginner programmes to help get you started. Follow the Couch to 5k Training Plan.

To continue, log in or sign up. It's FREE and only takes a minute!

Posted

Gutted interval training tonight and pulled my hamstring, I can walk pain free so hopefully not a bad one with my first marathon in under six weeks am a little concerned. Icing as I type.

Likes0

Posted

Used to run only on the treadmill which tbh made me soft. About three months ago I started road running (after an extended break!) and I love it! I feel strong and motivated but I gave developed a pain in the inside of my left heel. No bruising or swelling just discomfort I don't want to rest it as I don't want to loosen mojo again. Any advice?? Thx

Likes0

• kazparry
    • kazparry
    • I had that, it was wrong trainers. I have a low arch. Since changing my trainers, no pain.

• 3 months ago
  • Login or Join to leave a comment.

Posted

I'm a new runner & I've noticed that I'm a little too eager for my own good where fast pace is concerned, hence I need to slow disk my pace a touch. So far I've completed 3x 40 minute runs this week, &my outer thighs muscles are in Agony, a positive reality check, just wondering how long it will take for muscle pain to ease of? Would be Glad of responses Sarah

Likes0

• SuzieJB
    • SuzieJB
    • Hi Sara, are you stretching after your runs? The more you stretch, the less you're ache 😊

• 9 months ago
  • Login or Join to leave a comment.

Posted

Was the same yet run faster keep running faster now learning to run slower so not to prang myself again!!

Likes0

Posted

Had my first real injury recently by getting drawn into the occasion of a race. I prepared really well for my half marathon, training with a group who were entering a full marathon. On the day I went off at a sustainably quick pace and maintained it almost throughout the race. However, approaching the finish which was long and straight I got taken in by the finish line ahead and the building cheering crowds. I went for the sprint finish and two strides later was clutching the back of my thigh.

Fatigued muscles do not like being asked to engage in an explosive action. Would have been better winding it up perhaps. Lesson learned.

Likes0

Posted

I'm rather new to running I had issues with my shins until I changed my shoes,,. Amazing how somthing so simple has helped so much, I ran a 10k may 2014 and in jan 2015 after 7 months of being a lazy cow and not even running for the bus I decided to join the Bristol to bath marathon in oct!!! How very silly this was!!! I get to about 7.5 miles and started to get issues with my hips ( didn't see this coming for some reason, makes sense tho) so I have been advised to take cod liver oil tablets! ( the most disgusting smelling / tasting thing ever invented ) I am a relatively slow runner about 12ish min miles, I do go gym about 3 times a week but as a larger woman Im not the fittest and I do find myself struggling with motivation. My most recent injury is to my Achilles  any help from anyone is very much appreshiated  x

Likes0

• michael0
    • michael0
    • Join a local running club.meet like minded people,its easier to run with some one else.Get yourself a running plan.

• 10 months ago
  • Brianan
    • Brianan
    • Fish oils with omega is better than cod liver oil. Eskimo is a good brand.

• 10 months ago
  • Login or Join to leave a comment.

Posted

Guilty of a few of these. Training for Chester Marathon in October and I've tried a few things (only really started running 14 months ago, am 50 next month)

1. Have run my own circuit 5k runs to start. Started at 33mins, now down to 21.10.

2. Have invested in a few different pairs of trainers. Latest are HokaOneOne's, which are amazing and very different to the standard shoe.

3. Running helps lose weight, more so than any other exercise. Eating and drinking more efficiently without being too restrictive has made a big difference.

4. Run at least ever other day. Get a routine and do a longer run weekly. My last run was 29km this weekend. Testing and again, trying to understand limits and pain threshold!

5. Never give in but, if you hurt and it persists get advice and treatment before it becomes serious!

Likes1

• Monicammolloy
    • Monicammolloy
    • Running is good for losing weight. Agreed. But the best excersise for weight loss has to be stength and weight training.

• 7 months ago
  • Login or Join to leave a comment.

Posted

I'm very new to running and have calf pain Everytime I try it. I've invested in a new pair of trainers to try help but it hasn't worked. Has anyone any advice? Thanks

Likes0

• tazmcc
    • tazmcc
    • Maybe try a foam roller. It worked wonders for me and cheaper than sports massage

• 10 months ago
  • MooreHen32
    • MooreHen32
    • All of the above, plus research some warm up and cool down exercises / stretches.

• 3 months ago
  • MooreHen32
    • MooreHen32
    • I'm a new runner, used to get very tight / sore calves after 5k but am now having less problem.

• 3 months ago
  • Login or Join to leave a comment.

Posted

hi, first post and very new to running.  i'd like to think i am fairly fit as i go to the gym 3-4 times a week and part take in cycle for a warm and rowing for a warm down with weights and machines in the middle.  I normally press about 140kg with my legs (max) and calfs (max).  I am looking to shed and refine some of my 95kg frame and tone up.  What would be a good starting point, my cardio and fitness is OK - any suggestions would be greatly welcome.

Thanks

Jip (pronounced yip - don't ask)

Likes0

• Monicammolloy
    • Monicammolloy
    • Weights are brilliant for weightloss the more muscle you have the more calories your body burns.

• 7 months ago
  • Login or Join to leave a comment.

Posted

I'm guilty of number 2 definitely but I found this was due to the 'pace' of music I was listening to.  I've just started the couch to 5k programme and am aiming for a park run at the beginning of March but I always suffer calf pain at the end of every run and although I'm trying to improve glut strnegth by doing kettlercise and body pump it's disheartening when the pain kicks in.  Any advice would be welcome.

Likes0

• GetStretchy
    • GetStretchy
    • Yoga! I do Ashtanga yoga and find that a lot of the stretches help to ease any tightness in muscles and joints.

• over 1 year ago
  • vicki.stjohn87
    • vicki.stjohn87
    • Hi, Make sure you warm up properly and try a good amount of stretching when your done. Keep going it does get easier.

• 10 months ago
  • tazmcc
    • tazmcc
    • Get yourself a foam roller!!! They are brilliant

• 10 months ago
  • Login or Join to leave a comment.