Your running gait explained

Your running gait explained

Running lingo can all seem a little bit complex at times, especially when it comes to buying shoes, but we can't emphasise enough the importance of your training shoes being right for you. Here is The Running Bug's guide to your running gait. Get clued up so when it comes to needing new shoes, you're in no doubt about what to look for. You can also find out whether your running shoes could be slowing you down here. What is gait analysis?

To continue, log in or sign up. It's FREE and only takes a minute!

Posted

Need some advice I had Gait tests done  and was told I serverly  overprounate on both feet brought insoles and new trainers , went for a 5 k and couldn't finish my feet were on fire from the ball up to my toes I was in agony I put my neutral trainers on and did a short 20 min run two days later and perfect how can that be I have done wet foot test and always come out as neutral  do I try new trainers and insoles again or stick to neutral ones ??

Likes0

Posted

I have big shinsplint problem particulary on my left shin, went for a stability pair of shoes but still can't run a mile before the pain gets too much! No specialist running shops local to me that I know of. I currently use Nike Lunarglide 6

Likes0

• Nicks2208
    • Nicks2208
    • Ensure you stretch your shins out before and after each run and try compression socks. I suffered and this helped.

• 6 days ago
  • Login or Join to leave a comment.

Posted

suffer from ankle pain a lot every time I run

Got new hoka trainers helped a bit but keep getting it..

Likes0

Posted

My hips kill me after a run, its awful. Does anyone else suffer with this?

Likes1

• johngferguson
    • johngferguson
    • How long has it been happening? If it's more than a couple of weeks you should probably see a doctor.

• 3 months ago
  • caroline.rickards
    • caroline.rickards
    • I had this and went to a physio. She told me it was from weak glutes. Worked on them. All sorted. Get it checked.

• 2 months ago
  • fhiggsy
    • fhiggsy
    • Try some IT Band stretches. I suffered from this when I first started running but the stretches after have helped

• 2 months ago
  • Login or Join to leave a comment.

Posted

I suffered with shin splint when I first started running and no matter what I did or wore on my feet made a diff. I then went to a running shop and was told I was an over pronator. Was sold a pair of trainers I never would have picked in a size I thought was way too big (2 sizes bigger than my everyday shoes). So far no pain anywhere and I've run my longest distances. I wish I'd bit the bullet over a yr ago and had the gait analysis.

Likes2

Posted

Hi Everyone,

I ran my 1st marathon in December followed by a 10 & 6 km in the next two days...a couple of days later i had a swollen right knee(I do need to have reconstruction of the medial/arterial ligaments in that knee after a football injury about 18 years ago). went to my doctor and he told me to stop the extreme running as i'm over 40 & it's that or have injections/an op' ect.

I went to a running store got my gait tested and i am  an over pronator , i bought another pair of trainers( 3rd in about 3 months).

At the weekend a ran a marathon in 40-45mph winds and hail , did it about 3 mins faster than my 1st marathon then ran a 10km race the next day, and have so far had virtually NO reaction at all. Get your gait tested guys...it makes a MASSIVE difference ! my wife says she noticed straight away that i run better, i don't flick my legs out as much as i did!

Get the test done  NOW!

Likes5

• russell.buchanan
    • russell.buchanan
    • Meh, Doctors, what do they know, most of them have never seen a running shoe !

• 2 months ago
  • russell.buchanan
    • russell.buchanan

• 2 months ago
  • Login or Join to leave a comment.

Posted

When I started running nearly 3 years ago I did the 'proper thing' and had gait analysis - mild over-pronater in left, neutral in right. First 2 pairs were stability shoes but when I upped training levels kept getting injured (calf strains, Achilles tendonitis, perineal tendonitis...) During last 6 week lay-off back in Aug I read 'Born to Run', which made me decide to go back to basics, strengthen feet and lower legs. Read loads of barefoot running stuff, then started easing into minimal shoes (New Balance Minimus). Wow! Now running 20-25 mikes a week (mainly off road) in minimal shoes (rotation of NB, Merrell Mix Master and Inov8 Trailroc 235). Now injury free for 5 months and confident I am running with much better form and listening to my body much more. Would be interested to hear from anyone else who's made the transition to minimal / barefoot running.

Likes2

Posted

My left foot excessive supinates and my right ain't so bad lol

Likes0

• Darren.b
    • Darren.b
    • I'm like that, and found that shoe inserts did the trick rather than extra padded trainers.

• 6 months ago
  • Login or Join to leave a comment.

Posted

Completely missing out the "forefoot runner" there. Not everyone is a heel striker and most of these "motion control" trainers are like running with mattresses strapped to your feet. Convinced they cause more injuries than they prevent.

Likes0

Posted

I came to the conclusion that doesn't matter what you run in, there's more to it than just trainers - www.runaround.london/.../overpronation.html

Likes2