Your running gait explained

Your running gait explained

Running lingo can all seem a little bit complex at times, especially when it comes to buying shoes, but we can't emphasise enough the importance of your training shoes being right for you. Here is The Running Bug's guide to your running gait. Get clued up so when it comes to needing new shoes, you're in no doubt about what to look for. You can also find out whether your running shoes could be slowing you down here. What is gait analysis?

To continue, log in or sign up. It's FREE and only takes a minute!

Posted

I've just been fitted for running shoes using the method above, but I've found that roughly when I reach 2 1/2 - 3 miles I feel my two smallest toes on my left foot have like a numbness feeling in them ? Can anyone help with some advice ! Other foot is fine ?

Likes0

• Rhalou
    • Rhalou
    • Your trainers might be a bit small! Or a bit tight. Have you tried loosening the laces?  :-)

• 25 days ago
  • Login or Join to leave a comment.

Posted

I'm having a problem with my right foot, I've tried changing my trainers several times..the pain is on the top of my foot towards the outer edge. If I take a few days off its much better but soon as I run again it starts playing up...does anyone know what may be causing this?

Likes0

Posted

I think it is rubbish!  I bought my shoes based on video gait analysis from a particularly popular running shop 3 years running.  They felt ok but I would end up with shin splint type pain, knee pain etc... I then went to Run and Become who don't use it but have you run on a track they have on the floor of the shop.. everyone tries on their shoes and then goes for a wee run while a trained member of staff watches how you move in the shoes and then... checks your balance etc.. I was a bit dubious.. NO treadmill?!!  However they very quickly picked up that I am NOT a neutral runner but over pronate and needed considerable support in my shoes.  What a difference a decently fitted pair of shoes make.. no injuries or pain and a really comfortable pair of shoes in which I feel completely balanced.  I won't go anywhere else for my shoes, I travel a 6 1/2 hour round trip when I need shoes to get to my nearest shop, just so I know I will be fitted correctly.    If you don't intend to run on a treadmill and don't run on a treadmill.. then how can suddenly running on a treadmill give anyone any real insight into your running gait?

Likes3

• Twca
    • Twca
    • Run & Become is a fantastic store, I no longer suffer shin splints, knee & hip pain since buying my trainers from them.

• 2 months ago
  • Login or Join to leave a comment.

Posted

The right shoes are vital, I've been struggling over the last twelve months with lower back pain which ran down through my right butt cheek and down the hamstring. Kept running but was noticing the pain during and after every run , no matter how long or short. Went to see a Physio who told me I had a misaligned pelvis. Other than a few exercise's I left feeling that I still needed more answers. Next stop an osteopath, local girl who told me more in a 15 min consultation than the Physio did over 4 appointments. She told me I'd dropped an arch on my right foot and need an insole for support, done no more pain. I also had a gait analysis done and the young lass in the store was great and knew her stuff, Sweatshop Metro Centre Gateshead, Ud been running in my Nike Pegasus for  about 18 months, all the support had gone in the shoes now running in a pair of , New Balance and so far so good. From now on I'll be keeping a log of my miles and will be changing my foot wear every 500 miles or so. If your serious about running then take time when choosing your shoes, look after your feet bugs.

Likes3

• AllieF
    • AllieF
    • I had gait analysis done but I get lower back pain when I run & also pain down my hamstring.

• 4 months ago
  • Login or Join to leave a comment.

Posted

Need some advice I had Gait tests done  and was told I serverly  overprounate on both feet brought insoles and new trainers , went for a 5 k and couldn't finish my feet were on fire from the ball up to my toes I was in agony I put my neutral trainers on and did a short 20 min run two days later and perfect how can that be I have done wet foot test and always come out as neutral  do I try new trainers and insoles again or stick to neutral ones ??

Likes0

• Kelpie34
    • Kelpie34
    • Do you normally run on a treadmill?  If not then it was probably a false test! Try Run and Become or somewhere similar.

• 4 months ago
  • Login or Join to leave a comment.

Posted

I have big shinsplint problem particulary on my left shin, went for a stability pair of shoes but still can't run a mile before the pain gets too much! No specialist running shops local to me that I know of. I currently use Nike Lunarglide 6

Likes0

• Nicks2208
    • Nicks2208
    • Ensure you stretch your shins out before and after each run and try compression socks. I suffered and this helped.

• over 1 year ago
  • Login or Join to leave a comment.

Posted

suffer from ankle pain a lot every time I run

Got new hoka trainers helped a bit but keep getting it..

Likes0

Posted

My hips kill me after a run, its awful. Does anyone else suffer with this?

Likes1

• johngferguson
    • johngferguson
    • How long has it been happening? If it's more than a couple of weeks you should probably see a doctor.

• over 1 year ago
  • caroline.rickards
    • caroline.rickards
    • I had this and went to a physio. She told me it was from weak glutes. Worked on them. All sorted. Get it checked.

• over 1 year ago
  • fhiggsy
    • fhiggsy
    • Try some IT Band stretches. I suffered from this when I first started running but the stretches after have helped

• over 1 year ago
  • Login or Join to leave a comment.

Posted

I suffered with shin splint when I first started running and no matter what I did or wore on my feet made a diff. I then went to a running shop and was told I was an over pronator. Was sold a pair of trainers I never would have picked in a size I thought was way too big (2 sizes bigger than my everyday shoes). So far no pain anywhere and I've run my longest distances. I wish I'd bit the bullet over a yr ago and had the gait analysis.

Likes2

Posted

Hi Everyone,

I ran my 1st marathon in December followed by a 10 & 6 km in the next two days...a couple of days later i had a swollen right knee(I do need to have reconstruction of the medial/arterial ligaments in that knee after a football injury about 18 years ago). went to my doctor and he told me to stop the extreme running as i'm over 40 & it's that or have injections/an op' ect.

I went to a running store got my gait tested and i am  an over pronator , i bought another pair of trainers( 3rd in about 3 months).

At the weekend a ran a marathon in 40-45mph winds and hail , did it about 3 mins faster than my 1st marathon then ran a 10km race the next day, and have so far had virtually NO reaction at all. Get your gait tested guys...it makes a MASSIVE difference ! my wife says she noticed straight away that i run better, i don't flick my legs out as much as i did!

Get the test done  NOW!

Likes5

• russell.buchanan
    • russell.buchanan
    • Meh, Doctors, what do they know, most of them have never seen a running shoe !

• over 1 year ago
  • russell.buchanan
    • russell.buchanan

• over 1 year ago
  • Login or Join to leave a comment.