Banish your running knee pain for good

Posted

My knee pain might be the cause of osteoarthritis.  I am about to start running (I'm early 50s) but not sure if I should, given my knee problems.  Should I start running or is it too late for me?

Likes0

Posted

Important to remember that if you are having a persistent issues, TALK TO A PROFESSIONAL. The internet is good for general guidance, but you can also fall down a rabbit hole of misinformation. If you want to go and pay for a private consultation with a specialist, great, but if you're short on cash (like, say, a student...) the NHS provides EXCELLENT physiotherapy services. In my area, you are able to self-refer online, have a full assessment and get specific advice tailored to your needs, rather than catch-all advice gleaned from articles on the internet.

Likes0

Posted

This might sound weird but I think I've 'stumbled' on something... My right knee has been painful for the last 6 weeks and after visiting a physio I'm told my right hip is weak, causing my knee to come inwards. Other than leg strengthening I was advised to use a medial arch support & to tape the inside of my ankle. I went out for a run earlier & noticed that I always run clockwise around my town & on the right hand pavement, meaning that for every drop curb I pass the pavement runs steeply right to left - causing my knee to naturally fall inwards even further that usual. Also, running clockwise means that most turns are to the right, also pushing my knee in. I think I'm going to change my running routes as well as everything else to see if it helps... Also going to invest in some of the K Tape people are going on about..

Likes3

• neurokitti
    • neurokitti
    • Always good to vary your routes to try and balance the pressure on joints, muscles etc :)

• 8 months ago
  • Login or Join to leave a comment.

Posted

Asics are the best trainers I have used

Likes0

Posted

Hi, fab advice btw!! I have pulled/damaged my hamstring right at the back of my knee from running (and consequently contunuing to run despite the injury, yes stupid I know!).  I've been icing, resting, strapping, sports injury treatment.. what the heck else can I do.. I'm going insane not running????!!!

Likes0

• IKK1989
    • IKK1989
    • Hi pippamunton - I too, had this problem but it was so bad I was unable to run for two weeks! Has yours subsided now?

• 11 months ago
  • IKK1989
    • IKK1989
    • I'm so paranoid about damaging it again - I'm convinced its not 100% yet!! :-S

• 11 months ago
  • Login or Join to leave a comment.

Posted

I have pain currently in my right knee from old dance injuries. Tonight I have bought an open knee support which straps below and above the knee. Is this safe to run in? I often get a build up of fluid around or under the knee. I am fairly new to running. I have also have coccydynia, sheesh!! Although doctor said that running shouldn't be too bad. I am going to join classes to strengthen my core. Hopefully this should help too.

Likes0

• neurokitti
    • neurokitti
    • Worth talking to a physio. Your GP should be able to refer you.

• 8 months ago
  • Login or Join to leave a comment.

Posted

Ever since I got Asics shoes, I have never had knee problems :)

Likes1

Posted

I thought running was as easy as putting your trainers on and heading off out the door- however after several injuries in quick succession I decided to join a gym and strengthen my body. I cut down on lengthy runs and mixed it up with lots of leg work, concentrating on every part of my legs. I was quite shocked that my legs were not that strong, despite me regularly running 10k. On the treadmill I noticed how my running style changed the more tired I got, obviously putting pressure on my knees and joints.  I upped my running as my strength improved and now feel my running has improved beyond all expectations.  You can do strength work at home, you don't need gym. Can't recommend highly enough :-)

Likes5

• russell.buchanan
    • russell.buchanan
    • Include cross training to balance your muscle groups out as well,don't go too mad(like me)remember that it's training

• over 1 year ago
  • Login or Join to leave a comment.

Posted

Like it 'the one not on the ground' Right shoes, right stretches, build your legs up, cross train, and don't over do your run, every aspect of your training should be eased in to gradually ! happy running :)

Likes1

Posted

Usually when I pass roughly 13 miles, I get strange tingling in my knees before it gradually turns into a sharp pain and they feel really loose. My knees always click loudly no matter what I do.. Doing squats absolutely wrecks them. I always stretch, before and after runs & I'm very into my yoga. They don't seem to be improving anytime soon am I risking them being badly damaged in the future?

Likes0

• neurokitti
    • neurokitti
    • Speak to a physio. You can strengthen the muscle groups surrounding your knees without doing squats :)

• 8 months ago
  • Login or Join to leave a comment.